Where does Phoenix get its water?
SRP is the Phoenix area's largest provider of water, operating and maintaining an extensive water system that has delivered nearly 1 million acre-feet (325 billion gallons) of water annually to the region for more than 100 years. SRP can leverage its experience with water resource management and acquisitions to help provide customers with a renewable water supply.
Phoenix water availability
Unlike water providers in most urban centers in the West, Phoenix metropolitan area water providers have developed multiple sources of water, ensuring abundant water availability even during dry periods.
SRP uses a diverse management approach to ensure the region has reliable water supplies today, tomorrow and 100 years from now. This includes the following:
- SRP manages seven large reservoirs on the Salt and Verde rivers and East Clear Creek with a combined capacity of nearly 2 million acre-feet (650 billion gallons).
- SRP manages an extensive groundwater well system capable of delivering 350,000 acre-feet (114 billion gallons) annually.
- Water is stored underground through groundwater banking SRP operates two underground storage facilities with a permitted storage capacity of 168,000 acre-feet (54 million gallons) annually and is in the process of developing another facility in partnership with the Central Arizona Project.
- SRP develops partnerships with other water users, such as the Gila River Indian Community, to secure additional water supplies for cities, businesses and industry. Plans are to develop 5 million acre-feet (1.6 trillion gallons) of additional water over the next 15 years.
- SRP supports water-use efficiency programs and conservation techniques that have led to drastic reductions in per capita water consumption over the past decade.
- SRP always plans for drought, helping us plan our water use in even the driest conditions. Careful planning ensures the future prosperity of our customers and the communities we serve.
Additionally, water customers in the Phoenix metropolitan area enjoy some some of the most affordable water rates in the U.S. All of this and more is why Phoenix, Arizona's water supply outlook is ideal for growing businesses.
Find more facts about SRP and the water we manage on DroughtFacts.com.